Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Baby sitting the manager


I like taking care of my team. Motivating them when needed. Providing feedback when appropriate. In other words, assuming my role as the "mother" in the team.

Then there's this role that I play. Very confusing and interesting at the same time. I play main support to the area manager. To some, I look like his assistant, others think we're involved, I say, the company couldn't afford a Blackberry for him, so they decided to pay my salary.

I help back up his decisions. I try to calm him down when he's very upset. Think straight when he is overwhelmed with all the trouble there currently is in our area.

He's being locked up in a series of meetings the past few weeks. I call him up to check how the meeting went. No answer. During lunch, I finally get a callback. The meeting was OK. He had no plans of grabbing lunch. So I scold him. One thing I am very good at. I tell him I'm near the store deli and I'll get him something to eat. I wasn't about to take no for an answer.

I grabbed a croissant and a salad for him. I call him from the nearest corner store and ask him what flavour his favorite tea is. Lemon. I chose desert for him. Nerds gum. I call him and ask him to meet me at the parking lot. I get off the car and deliver lunch to him. He looked completely surprised, but thankful.

Yeah, I'm talking about Mike.

No comments: