Saturday, August 18, 2007

The will to live

It amazes me. Life is one of the things we can't get second helpings of. It's a one shot. You make the best of it. I've seen loved ones leave this mortal plane. I've suffered their loss.

I've admired their efforts to make the last days the best, not giving in to the disease. Even though they get what we all do, a lifetime.

I've suffered watching Lex stuggle with her mother in law. A terminal cancer in which she has been dealing with alone. Before she had surgery, I remember she would say that she was only using someone else's oxygen. In my opinion, she has things to live for. Maybe that's just me.

Then there's my sister's pet fish. The poor thing has battled with pop eye twice in his life. Recently, he's fallen victim of fin rot. I don't know why. Maybe he's too stressed. The family was here for a month. Perhaps the water ph is too agressive for him. My fish have never suffered those kind of diseases. Yet he doesn't give up. He keeps on swimming. He eats his usual meals. He even asks for seconds.

How can a human simply let go of life and an animal hold on to it?

I don't get it.

No comments: