Saturday, September 23, 2006

At long last


The sky is just a gigantic blue Sapphire stone into which the earth is embedded – this belief was cherished in ancient times. And, in fact, does there exist a better image to describe the beauty of an immaculate Sapphire of purest blue? This gemstone exists in all the shades of blue skies, from the deep blue of evening skies to the bright and deep blue of a clear and beautiful summer sky which charms all people. The splendid gemstone, however, also comes in many other colours, not only in the transparent greyish misty blue of far horizons, but also displaying the bright fireworks of sunset colours – yellow, pink, orange and purple. So Sapphires are really and truly heavenly stones, although they are being found in the hard soil of our so-called "blue planet”.

Blue is Sapphire’s main colour. Blue is also the favourite colour of about 50 per cent of the population, men and women alike. This colour, which is strongly associated with sapphire, is also linked to emotions such as sympathy and harmony, friendship and loyalty. These emotions belong to features which are permanent and reliable – emotions where overwhelming and fiery passion is not the main element, but rather composure, mutual understanding and unshakeable trust. Sapphire blue has thus become a colour related to anything permanent and reliable, and this is one of the reasons why women in many countries settle on Sapphire for their engagement rings. Sapphire symbolises loyalty and faithfulness, while at the same time expressing love and yearning. The most famous musical example for this melancholic shade of blue can be found in George Gershwin’s "Rhapsody in Blue". Sapphire’s blue colour is also evoked where clear competence and controlled brainwork are the issue. After all, the first computer ever to wrangle a victory from a chess grandmaster and world champion was named "Deep Blue".

The sapphire is also September's birthstone. My mother's birthstone or my new nonbirthstone. When I was about a week old, my mother bought a beautiful sapphire ring. It is embedded between 2 leaves made of gold.

I've loved that ring since long as I remember. Unfortunately for me, it was too small. Last year, mother gave me my greatgrandmother's ring. It's so rare, we aren't even sure what stone it is. One jewler said it was a violet diamond. I cherish that ring, because of what it represents. My heritage, my pride, my family.

This year, on my nonbirthday my mom said she wanted to give me something. She opened an old ring box. There it was, the blueberry ring pop. The ring I loved stealing from mom when I was a teen to wear to important events. Then she said it : "Get it made to your size, it's yours".

Perhaps its a bit of hope and a signal that things come for those who wait.

No comments: