Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Trick or Treat

Candy. Jack o'lanterns. Witches. Broomsticks. Monsters. Superheros. Things that remind me of how fun it was to be a kid. I was 6 when my cousin Ozzie took me trick or treating for the first time. We were living in Houston. I guess there weren't many kids in the neighborhood. Mom says it looked like we were the only ones dressed up and demanding candy.

The following year we were in San Antonio. Things were different. Mom would take us to different neighborhoods in the surrounding areas. Mainly for the candy, but also to see the impressive decorations. Houses dressed up for the occasion.

The sky was jet black, but it seemed like a tranquil afternoon where kids were running up to others yards asking for candy. It was all fun and games.

Costumes were a huge deal. I remember dressing up as a witch, an angel, a devil, Rainbow Brite, a tiger and I think a butterfly.

Unfortunately now, I live in Mexico. Where Halloween is literally banned by the Catholic Church. It still doesn't stop those candy enthusiasts.

I hope by next year I'll have the desire to dress up and remember what's it like to be a kid on a dark Halloween night.

Happy Trick or Treating.

No comments: